Backend Software Engineer
Investing your talent in creating a better world
We are looking for a highly skilled computer programmer with experience in back end programming. Working alongside our full stack developer team, you will be designing and developing the back end of our explorer.land app architecture, ensuring a high level of quality in terms of design, functionality and performance.
OpenForests builds technology at the service of people and nature. We develop tools for forest restoration and conservation projects to manage their data, communicate their impact openly, immerse stakeholders in the place of the project, and build networks of supporters.
OpenForests offers custom forest information services and a map-based project presentation platform, explorer.land.
explorer.land is a map-based presentation and story-telling platform for sustainable forest and landscape restoration projects. Hundreds of organizations are already presenting more than 400 projects on our platform, the number steadily rising. explorer.land tells the story of these projects and shows their impact in the landscape, allowing organizations to build trust with stakeholders. Learn more here.
We are looking for a back end developer with at least 3 years of professional experience who finds joy and inspiration in building software that has an impact. You will be working alongside a small team of front and back end developers. You should have experience and skills working in small- and middle-sized teams in a responsible and respectful manner. This requires good communication and interpersonal skills. Check out our working philosophy and conditions. The work will be carried out remotely, the job will be full-time, on a contractual basis. Living in a time zone not more than 4 hours apart from UTC+0 is of advantage. You will be actively participating in the development of APIs and back end processes, being fully responsible for the execution and completion of your tasks.
- Building elegant, resilient and highly performant solutions that serve the needs of our diverse users
- Working as an integral member of our distributed software development team
- Contributing to the development of our backend APIs and processes
- Taking ownership of projects from initial design phase through to testing, release and deployment
- Promoting a culture of operational excellence by testing code, updating documentation and writing blameless postmortems
- Optimizing the performance, scalability and resilience of our backend infrastructure and services
- On-call availability to support the health of our services
- Laravel 9
- 3+ years experience with REST APIs and additional backend development
- Proficiency with PHP8, Laravel, PostgreSQL and Redis
- Experience with Git
- Experience working in an agile team environment
- Problem solver and team player
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment and meet deadlines
- Strong time-management skills
- Proven communication skills, with the ability to communicate with technical and non-technical audiences
- Attention to detail, but also the bigger picture
- Desire to learn
- Knowledge of written and spoken English
- Clean code mentality
- Experience with Laravel framework apiato (https://apiato.io/)
- Experience with geographic information systems (GIS)
- Experience in Devops
- Experience in writing unit and functional tests with PHPUnit
Start date (tentative): 1. September 2022
Note to agencies: As we envision working with individuals, we will not review nor reply to application coming from agencies. Thank you for your understanding.
- Make sure you have read our working philosophy and conditions, before you proceed.
- Fill in and submit the following form. We will get back to you within four weeks.
- Within our form, briefly describe two projects you worked on before, what challenges you faced and how you overcame them.
- If your profile sounds interesting, we will invite you to a 1-hour video call to get to know each other better.
- In case both parties perceive a potential match, we will plan for a joint assignment as an opportunity to work together, paid, and over a defined period of time.
- Should both parties be satisfied and inspired by this joint work period, we will formalize a regular work relation.